Programming Journal C#, Java, SQL and to a lesser extent HTML, CSS, XML, and regex. I made this so other programmers could benefit from my experience.

Friday, February 8, 2008

Installing CA Anti-virus with error on open

I had a Vista problem installing the av_en_32.exe install wizard after I move the file from another computer. It gave some error that Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file . You may not have the appropriate permissions to access them.

Solution: Right-click the icon and Unblock.

1 comment:

Thomas said...

Seems ironic that an install wizard – which is designed to make installation effortless – requires system-level commands to work.

I'm inclined to believe that the file was intentionally modified by Vista as a security measure to prevent unverified programs from running. If so, I'm surprised that Vista doesn't provide a mechanism to make the program run again, easily and in a way that an average user can figure out without resorting to Google or needing to know how a filesystem works.