Programming Journal C#, Java, SQL and to a lesser extent HTML, CSS, XML, and regex. I made this so other programmers could benefit from my experience.

Thursday, September 27, 2007

Copying a MDF SQLExpress Database file to SQL Server 2005 Server

Copying a MDF SQLExpress Database objects to SQL Server 2005:



  1. First make sure myDatabase.mdf is on your local machine unless you already
    have remote access enabled.


  2. Open Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express. Hint: Run as Administrator on Vista.


  3. Make sure myDatabase is listed as a Database in the Object Explorer,
    otherwise attach it.


  4. Right click myDatabase -> Tasks -> Generate Scripts -> [select]
    myDatabase -> Select All ... ->Script to new Query Window -> Finish


Next



  1. In the Object Explorer open the remote database where you want the copied
    tables and views.


  2. Right click myTargetDatabase ->Tasks -> New Query


  3. Paste in copied script from step 4 from above.


  4. Run



link to download Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express
Note: Be careful with constraint options. I also had to copy and paste the data from the source to target data tables in Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express like an Excel copy and paste.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can anyone recommend the well-priced RMM tool for a small IT service company like mine? Does anyone use Kaseya.com or GFI.com? How do they compare to these guys I found recently: N-able N-central service management
? What is your best take in cost vs performance among those three? I need a good advice please... Thanks in advance!

Alex said...

Usually for solve problems with sql server and files too I use other tools. But yesterday no one of theirs couldn't help me. All my sql files were damaged. But luckily for me I found in the Internet - repair database sql. It helped me for seconds and for free as I kept in mind.